In a piece of news certain to delight dozens of performance-loving Labrador retriever owners in Westchester County, Mercedes-Benz has officially announced that the E63 AMG Wagon will reach the United States as a 2012 model.
Like all 2012 E63s, the wagon will forgo the 6.2 liter M156 V8 that makes 518 horsepower and 465 lb-ft of torque for the new twin-turbo’ed 5.5 liter M157 V8, set up to generate 518 horsepower and 516 lb-ft in the E-Class. Presumably, however, wagon buyers will also be able to check the box for the performance pack that ups the output to 550 horsepower and 590 lb-ft, which ought to be enough to thoroughly embarrass every other vehicle in America that offers more than 34 cubic feet of storage space behind the second row.
The 2012 E63s should be arriving this October, hopefully arriving in time for their new owners to run through the break-in miles with a long weekend trip up north to see the leaves. The wagon comes with a standard panoramic roof, which should make it the ultimate 500+ horsepower leaf peeping machine. [via Mercedes-Benz]
Pictured: 2011 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG Wagon
May 12, 2011
Most 2012 models are equipped with a more fuel-efficient 7-speed automatic transmission and more powerful direct-injection gasoline engines, including a new turbo four-cylinder, a normally aspirated V6 and bi-turbo V8s – some with ECO Stop/Start technology.
Many 2012 models now feature a new audio headunit with a 5.8-inch color display, Bluetooth audio streaming, phonebook download, album cover art and USB port. COMAND with Navigation receives a 7-inch screen, SIRIUS weather, display of personal photos, 3D city models, intermediate navigation destinations, area avoidance and a larger 10GB Music Register.
E-Class Sedan and Wagon (October)
* Model line features more fuel-efficient 7-speed automatic transmission, new steering wheels, color instrument cluster display and standard LED DRL’s, media interface moved to center console.
* E350 4MATIC Wagon continues with sport or luxury models, new direct-injection 3.5liter V6 engine (302hp, 273 lb-ft) and standard all-wheel drive, 3rd-row rear-facing seat, power tailgate, rear air suspension and electromechanical steering,
* E350 BlueTEC 50-State V6 turbodiesel (210 hp, 400 lb-ft) continues.
* E350 Sport/Luxury new direct-injection V6 engine (302 hp, 273 lb-ft) and available 4MATIC all-wheel-drive.
* E550 4MATIC Sport new 4.6-liter twin-turbo direct-injectionV8-engine (402 hp, 443 lb-ft), electromechanical steering and standard 4MATIC all-wheel-drive.
* E63 AMG Sedan new 5.5-liter twin-turbo direct-injection V8 engine (518 hp, 516 lb-ft) and ECO Stop/Start technology mated to the AMG 7-speed MCT plus new 19-inch AMG 10-spoke wheels. Optional Performance Packages yields 550hp/590lb-ft.
* E63 AMG Wagon debuts with drivetrain mentioned above and standard panorama roof
* Model line continues to showcase advanced new driver assistance systems such as ATTENTION ASSIST, Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Blind Spot Assist with automatic brake intervention, PRE-SAFE Brake with Automatic Emergency Braking, Adaptive Highbeam Assist and Nightview Assist PLUS with pedestrian detection.