0-60 Magazine

Your Source For Cars, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Ford, and More …

BY: Michael

0-60: The Next Chapter

The rumors of the our (print version) demise have not been greatly exaggerated.

Dear loyal 0-60 reader, It's with a heavy heart that we confirm today the rumors that were going around last week. As of this moment in time, 0-60 Magazine will no longer be published in print format. It will however live on in both online format and in experiential marketing form at racing series and live events. We had an amazing run these past three years and we'd like to thank each and every one of you for the support you gave us as we created what we felt was the best damn car magazine ever. It wouldn't be a lie to tell you that all of us here invested actual blood, sweat and tears into each and every issue. From the ridiculous adventures we undertook to the late nights spent at our offices in midtown Manhattan, chowing on delivery Thai and working on layouts until our eyes bled, we sank everything we had into the magazine and we're proud of the results. The approach we took to making a car magazine was different from day one, but the end product is one that we feel will stand the test of time. Go back and read any of our issues a few years from now and you'll see what we mean. They'll still be interesting and exciting to read—and we guarantee none of the domestic "buff books" will ever hold a candle to the 0-60 standard for photography and art. That all having been said, the economics of print and online are different and we're pleased to report that the same great journalistic standards, stories and wit you've come to love in print form will continue online. In the coming months, you'll notice an increase not just in news coverage, but also in unique content as we try to grow our online presence and infuse this site with some of that extra in-book tone we now have laying around. Again, we thank you all for your dedicated support. While we may not have been the biggest car magazine out there, we definitely had the most passionate readership. And believe us, that means more to the entire edit team than you can imagine. If you've got questions, comments or concerns, feel free to leave them in the comments below. We'll do our best to address them. —The 0-60 staff
COMMENTS
  • Austin Irwin says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:04 pm

This is bullshit! Is there anyway we as readers can reverse this?

• Jon Walkow says:
      November 15, 2010 at 8:06 pm

That would be cool, like a fundraiser, but with the economy, we would maybe only be delaying the fate.

• Jon Walkow says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Did Mike Spinelli's presence with Jalopnik, taking over as editor in chief have any part of the decision to move from print to just online? Will any of the staff members be let go?

• Alex Nunez says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:12 pm

0-60 has the best designed mag in the industry. The photography and layout is top notch and unmatched. Going to miss the mag!!

• brandon says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm

That sucks Ill miss the mag. You guys where the best on the stand hands down.

• Gary says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I could never put a copy down once I picked it up. Unmatched passion in both the photography/print quality/and writing kept me hooked every time, the magazine will be missed dearly. Just wondering what happened to all the old "desktops" that were on the website, can't seem to find them anymore, there were some amazing photographs in there!

• NGR FGR says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Oxygen gets you high. In a catastrophic emergency, you're taking giant panicked breaths. Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate. It's all right here. Emergency water landing - 600 miles an hour. Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows.

• Keith says:
      December 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm

How's that working out for you? Being clever?

• Trevor says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I still vote iPad app.

• Mike Spinelli says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Jon -- Good question, but I'm no longer with 0-60. I wish these guys the best though, and I hope you guys continue to visit 0-60mag.com. I will. Mike

• Jon Walkow says:
      November 16, 2010 at 3:34 am

So are you saying Harris Publication let everyone go including you? Is there only one person running the online version of 0-60 now?

• Clutchless says:
    November 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

One of the only magazines I ever looked forward to reading. It will be sorely missed but I am going to reminisce about the first time I read your magazine and why I still do to this day. I remember about two years ago doing some grocery shopping and happened down the magazine aisle and saw for the first time those big "0-60" letters and a magazine that was physically larger than those around it, I was instantly intrigued. I picked it up, flipped to a random article and noticed the name Chris Harris. I instantly knew this magazine was coming home with me and it did not disappoint one bit. The excellent photography, clean layout, "the sixty," and countless others that escape my memory right now. It filled that void left of Drivers Republic that had an innate ability to put you in the car with the editors during a test drive. It is hard to explain but it was like reading a good book. So many car reviewers today (you know who) just list all the new specs, how much it costs and how it feels on one particular turn. 0-60 accomplishes those things as well but in doing so it brings out their true emotion in each article. If you have never read the mag you wouldn't understand, kind of like what C16 smells like when a car at a meet drives by, you know because you are an enthusiast. The guys that published it were enthusiasts in every aspect of the word. How how many car mags actually take two hybrids around NYC and try to get the WORST mileage! They set themselves farther apart from the pack as each issue was printed. Thanks again for a great mag that in my words took what Evan Griffey had and did at Turbo and took it to another level. Cheers. PS. I still use that granola bar recipe your printed.

• Wes Duenkel says:
    November 15, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Well, crap.

• Wes Duenkel says:
    November 15, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Is the winter 2010 issue still coming, or is it DOA as well?

• Wayne says:
    November 15, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Thanks guys. It was a great run of great issues. Each and every damn one of them.

• SuperCars says:
    November 15, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Never read the magazine, in fact I just heard about 0-60 a few day ago. Will be reading the online version for sure.

• danielson says:
    November 16, 2010 at 12:05 am

BOOOO CORPRATE AMERICA!!!!! ILL STICK IT TO THE MAN BY SPENDING ALL MY TIME ON 0-60MAG.COM!!!!!

• sam says:
    November 16, 2010 at 12:47 am

proud to say I've been here since the first issue, have every one of them and read them 3x through apiece. damn high standards not just for an automotive magazine but print as a whole, I'm gonna sorely miss the sarcastic tones and shenanigans of this amazing magazine (drive through strip club in rural Pennsylvania...the Sixty...the mouton drives. nuff said.) ps - please, if there is any hope for it at all, keep up the Sixty list of the greatest post-fuel crisis cars. great idea.

• Roger Williams says:
    November 16, 2010 at 2:07 am

As Mark Donohue Williams Dad (with tears from his Mom) I am sorry to see my favorite car magazine leave the printed format. You have given us amazing insight into our son's writing and driving skills. Between the ice roads and the militia, a three-wheeled super motorcycle, we have enjoyed all that you have published...with more class and literary continuity than any automag before you. Keep living fast...

• Jonathan Figdor says:
    November 16, 2010 at 3:08 am

Are you going to refund us our subscription fees?

• Jeremy says:
    November 16, 2010 at 4:06 am

I say good luck to you. Iam a big online fan of the site due to living in Australia, i cant seem to find the mag anywhere instores. Keep it strong guys.

• WhiteKnuckle says:
    November 16, 2010 at 10:34 am

Well... crap. First MPH, now 0-60 :(

• Super6 says:
    November 16, 2010 at 12:05 pm

This sucks

• Itsa328 says:
    November 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm

If this mag had been made a monthly publication I'm willing to bet it would have taken off in a big way. I am certain the Mike S. and Co. were clamoring for a monthly format. As good as the magazine was I don't think it was enough to overcome the quarterly format that made it easy for some to forget about it or possibly think twice about renewing their subscription. The content and art was way above anything else you'd find on this side of the Atlantic. Harris should reconsider their decision. The circulation would have to be more than Dog News, Mopar Action, and Celebrity Hairstyles combined.

• Kristian says:
    November 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Sorry to hear about the print version. Best of luck with the online incarnation. Cheers.

• Wayne says:
    November 16, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Man you guys were one of my favorite car mag. Loved the set up of the articles and the artwork. You will be truly missed.

• Joe says:
    November 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm

How will refunds be handled since I just mailed in my renewal??

• Matt T. says:
    November 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Hey everyone, Thanks for the kind words. To answer a few of your questions... The Winter 2011 issue just hit stands last week, so if you want to read about our final exploits, that's where to find them. It'll be the last print version of the mag. In terms of subscription fees, what will happen is that your subscription will automatically be transferred over to another mag that's put out by Harris Publications. In this instance it'll most likely be RIDES Magazine. If you'd rather have your money refunded, you'll have to contact our subscriptions department. They can be reached at 212-462-9525. @Itsa328, you have no idea what a powerhouse Dog News is. All day long over the PA system here: "Delivery for Dog News". All. Friggin'. Day.

• Ian L says:
    November 16, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Was the only magazine I subscribed to or even read regularly. Will miss it. Best of luck with the online stuff, I will remain loyal.

• Brando says:
    November 16, 2010 at 5:11 pm

As great as this website is, I still really enjoy the feeling of a printed copy in my hands. The quality of the paper, print, and photography was second to none. I almost wanna say where you guys were a quarterly, you had a little more time to put together a finer piece every three months, instead of rushing to deadlines once a month. I wish the best for 0-60, and hope that donkalicious RIDES magazine goes straight to hell.

• 0-60 MAGAZINE: LIVED FAST, DIED YOUNG – Enkei Wheels - Motor Sports, F1 Racing, Formula Drift, Time Attack, Tuner News, Custom Wheel, RPF1 Colors says:
    November 16, 2010 at 5:54 pm

[...] was inspiring. Glad to hear the coverage will continue online but the printed mag will be missed! Read the official word and goodbye on 0-60Mag.com. – Alex [...]

• Anonymous says:
    November 16, 2010 at 8:31 pm

wow, making the claim, "the best damn car magazine ever" is quite delusional.

• Dustin says:
    November 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm

0-60 was the best car mag I've ever read. It'll be missed. I suppose that pretty much kills any chance I'll ever have of getting a back-issue of the April/May '09 issue that I missed, huh?

• Matt T. says:
    November 16, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Dustin, April/May 09? 2010 Mustang cover? I think we've got a few laying around. Email us at edit@0-60mag.com and we'll see what we can do.

• chris says:
    November 16, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Any great chance you'll be producing old issues to PDF? Or even the chance to buy old issues. Would love to have the entire collection as I have to agree with others that this mag was a great read from front to back I'd always read every article/writeup

• Tom says:
    November 17, 2010 at 12:25 am

Wow, this really sucks. Never has the automotive world had such a unique and truely original magazine. Last year my girlfriend ordered all the back issues for Christmas and I have read everyone cover to cover multiple times. 0-60 really captured everything the other mags either were missing or didnt care to bother with. Looking forward to the each month was hard but made getting it even better. While online is great, there is just something about being able to flip through the magazine, take time to read it, look at the pictures and ads. You guys really dont understand how great a product you put out, nothing ever came close. I will remain loyal, but if there is anything the readers could do, please let us know. I would gladly pay $30 an issue, no really I would. I know the web is the way of the future but I have to wonder if it is really the best way to go? All the best of luck guys, thanks for a great 3 years!

• Baron Von Münchhausen says:
    November 17, 2010 at 5:03 pm

this is my "dreamcar" weight 592 kg (dry weight) 3 cylinder doppelturbo 1.5 litre 7 speed getriebe (0.07 ms ) wheelbase similar to a porsche 991 turbo 40-60% better aero numbers than a veyron ss air suspension, ride better than a rolls royce ghost special developed tyres for the light weight car brakes: tickness of an motogp - deceleration: 400-0 in 4.6 sec acceleration: 0-400 in 19.2 seconds topspeed: 519 km/h laptimes? probably 6:11 or faster at the nurburgring. that would equall stefan bellof's record with the porsche 956 price: £ 5400000 million + vat over to you mclaren and bugatti:)

• Scott says:
    November 19, 2010 at 10:35 am

Well this just plain SUCKS!!!! This was the only magazine written by people who understood the car culture. Mags like tuner and import mag yeah they have cool cars every once in awhile to read about but 0-60 always had an adventure or adventures that were way better than that. As far as i'm concerned they should take motortrend, and automoblie off the rack cause the writers of those magazines have no clue what is car culture. Sure most of the people who read the magazine couldn't afford a veyron or CCX-R but we don't need to be told we can't we know that already. What 0-60mag did is do what we would all have liked to do and take the most expensize supercars out and ring them out like they were built to do. I also agree with a previous post and that this is the on'y magazine i looked forward to every issue, and i've said it before and i'll say it again THIS IS THE BEST CAR MAGAZINE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Gerick Moore says:
    November 19, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Dammit! I was about to renew my subscription too! Well at least I was in the 'Letters to the Editor' section, or whatever you want to call it.... My last words to the mag? Derp. With love from Mother Russia.

• Chapel says:
    November 19, 2010 at 7:33 pm

It truly was the last great american car magazine. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4410132-0-60-Mag-The-last-great-American-Automotive-Publication *sigh* I look forward to reading the site more frequently and watching the youtube channel Suggestion: could you do like a weekly digest that people could subscribe to on their iPad or iPhone ala Zinio or something? I would pay for that.

• Gerick Moore says:
    November 20, 2010 at 2:07 am

I forgot one thing, I jizzed myself when I first saw the mag, but now.....now the climax is over *single tear*

• J_Beezy says:
    November 21, 2010 at 1:27 pm

F. now the one cool thing that came in my mail is gone.

• gp26 says:
    November 22, 2010 at 5:07 am

I just hope you guys will keep posting the 60. Since the list was random, I'm eager to know what order the E30 M3, RX-7, or VW GTI would be at. So goodluck & best wishes! I'll be checking the site daily!

• Chris V says:
    November 22, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Would you guys happen to have the copy of the June/July 2009 issue? As a recent owner of the MKVI GTI It'd be nice to have a copy of the 0-60 that covered this car. Im in Midtown and could walk over to pick it up :) Thanks!

• Ronnie says:
    November 23, 2010 at 12:57 am

0-60 is dead. Long live 0-60!

• Gerick Moore says:
    November 25, 2010 at 4:24 am

O before everyone takes the last issues, could I get the preview, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th and 9th? I'm in East Haddam, CT, it would be appreciated... I'd like to have a full set, if you know what I mean.

• Flynn says:
    November 27, 2010 at 6:28 am

best god damn car magazine ever. im sorry i never subscribed and always waited to pick them up in bookstores. see you in tcl and watch out for the fents.

• Joel says:
    November 28, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Im speechless .... i was gonna ask for a new subscription to 0-60 mag for christmas ..... this totally has ruined my day my week my month ...heck where am i supposed to turn to now?? Yeah online is great and all but you cannot beat a high quality print magazine!!!!!!! COME ON!! ... ugh .... this is definitely terrible news.

• Kris Tice says:
    November 29, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I Have every issue. I will indeed miss the Mag.

• Cash says:
    November 29, 2010 at 9:08 pm

BULLSHIT WTF WILL I READ WELL TAKING A SHIT AT WORK?! WTF MAN WTF NOT COOL.....

• Jake says:
    November 30, 2010 at 1:45 am

This is complete bullshit. Just heard today via the stupid harris letter sent out. If I wanted a copy to one of those shitty magazines then I'd be subscribed to those. 0-60 is the best magazine I've ever read. The passion, the personality, the realism, you didnt get a general spec sheet, you got a feel for the soul of the cars. There HAS to be something that can be done. Online is great, but theres something about holding that quality mag, that can't be beat. All other rags just feel cheap, the thick paper, quality pics, excellent, writing. AHH I'm pissed, whoever is responsible should be fired, this was the one of the only mags ever that was worth a subscription.

• Big V says:
    November 30, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I have every issue and I am ticked about not getting another one. 0-60 is by far the best car mag I've ever read. And I need to know what ever happened to the rocket car guy - where is he and what is he doing? Also, for the next online article, here is my suggestion: All American drag race car jump. The one that gets the most air wins!

• Max B says:
    December 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm

When I opened up a letter from Harris Publications, excited to send out my check for renewing my subscription, imagine the horror that I felt when the first words read "We regret to inform you"... Other publications could learn from your passion and dedication to providing excellent content. Best of luck for the next chapter, I'll still be reading! Thanks for the magazine!

• Bob Olsem says:
    December 2, 2010 at 3:37 am

I've been with 0-60 mag since the beginning. It's a damn shame.

• Keith says:
    December 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm

How is it that all the good mags like 0-60 die while the Buckaroo crap mags are still here? They must have lower budgets I guess. It just ain't right...

• Lee says:
    December 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

wow...had no idea...the combination of photgraphy, off-the-hook/wall articles and makes-you-feel-like-you're there writing....I figured you'd last forever. maybe go electronic like Winding Road (if they're still around). I won't give up and neither wil lthe 0-60 crew. Let us know when things change!! BTW...can I have the blown/caged Lexus IS-F...?

• Dale says:
    December 14, 2010 at 11:41 am

WTF! Every quarter I looked forward to getting my copy in the mail. Why is it that crap like Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc. Keep getting published and magazines like 0-60 and MPH get taken off the shelves? I will be reading the online version and with regards to those other magazines if I wanted to read a load of crap I would look in my toilet...just sayin'...

• tom h says:
    December 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm

oh come on! Its bad enough that it was a quarterly mag, now you're gonna kill the best car mag in the world? Maybe you just need new marketers/accountants

• P. Nogrigio says:
    March 20, 2011 at 10:58 am

WTF Man, This is Total B.S., 0-60 was The only U.S. Car Mag I always looked forward to. Who wants to read some stuffy arse Car Mag where the pre requisites include being either Booring, Corny or Unimaginative, BOoooooo, Down with The establishment of Status Quo Car Mags, Where's a Banker when ya need em. Why shouldn't a Car mag be exciting and fun, all Car Mags should be like the UK Top Gear show, FUN, HeLLOOOOO, maybe you guys at 0-60, can take over the US Top Gear show, Worth a try, there is No way you guys could do any worse than that Lackluster trio, Tanner can Drive but Mr. Personality he ain't just look at the Headstones( Supercars Exposed, and that other Super Car-ee show all dead.

• logan says:
    May 31, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Stumbled upon the first issue of 0-60 by accident. Best accident I ever got myself into. Purchased every single issue from that day forward. I hope you can understand the gravity of this compliment, but to me, you were the UK Top Gear of automotive journalism. Not the silly Americans, the strange Aussies or the awkward Russians, but the best of the best. You set the standard and raised the bar. You're shenanigans were hilarious and entertaining, your writing was top notch and your pictures were worth thousands upon thousands of words. Print will always be print. My iPad will never replaces the scent and gloss of a hand turned page, but I will support 0-60 in whatever form it survives in. Viva la you guys.

• Kris says:
    July 18, 2012 at 3:34 am

You guys had an awesome magazine, it's just too bad it took me a year later to find out it's not being printed anymore :/ Thank God I had Ken Block sign your Mag at his Gymkhana Grid in 2010!!! Hope to see this back in hard print some day.

• Tahoedrifter says:
    August 2, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Loved y'all's mag and strongly agree that it was the best around. I could feel the passion you guys possessed in every article. I have several issues, but is there somewhere I could fill the holes in my collection? I'd love to have every issue y'all published...

• IH82BL8 says:
    September 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Eventually, the ink and paper will be a thing of the past. I give it 20 years and it will be a rare occurrence if someone were to hand write me a letter. 20 years from now, news papers will be electronic and disposable. Just because 0-60 has decided to halt physical production most definitely does not mean the end of the company, hence the "Next Chapter". On another note, my dream car would be a rear wheel drive hyper coupe that has an inline 7.0 liter 7 cylinder supercharged engine, oh yea, and will have a 7 speed manual. Complete with an economy mode that cuts boost in half and shuts down 3 cylinders. The interior will be simple and elegant as will the full LED headlamps and tail lamps. The key will be an old fashion "skeleton" key in either brass or titanium and there will be an RF tag inside the key so all the keys can remain simple. The exhaust will be of titanium headers and down pipes flowing into brass mufflers and tips. There will be two outlets before the rear wheels on each side, 4 in total. Magnetic ride comes standard, as well as active aerodynamics. The heads-up display will make BMW's and Corvette's look like an Atari. Satellite radio and iPod connectivity via Bang and Olufsen will supply the entertainment. The exterior paneling will be in full carbon fiber and the lines will hint at a mix of Audi sophistication, BMW muscles, Alfa Romeo spice and Maserati elegance. The brakes will be large enough to stop a locomotive. 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, output will be rated at 813 hp and 777 lb-ft. at the rear wheels. With a dry weight of 2798 pounds. It will be called the Velox 777.