Ok, so the fires part might be a bit of an exaggeration. The rest however, is not.
This past Saturday was the third round of the 2010 Formula Drift season, The Gauntlet, held at Wall Speedway over in New Jersey. Despite the heat (temps were approaching the 100 degree mark), a huge crowd turned out to see how the top drifters in the world handled the steep banking that helps make The Gauntlet such a unique stop on the circuit tour.
Going into the event, our good buddy Vaughn Gittin Jr. was leading the points race, having taken first in Long Beach and second in Atlanta. As it would turn out, he made it through The Gauntlet with another second place win, helping to maintain his position of first in the points race, but with Daijiro Yoshihara hot on his heels (or maybe wheels?), with DAI racking up his second consecutive first place finish. Rounding out third was Tanner Foust.
In addition to some ridiculously close door-to-door action leading up to the finale, there were also a few wrecks. Most notably, Rhys Millen wadding up the drivers side of his Genesis Coupe directly in front of where the 0-60 staff had decided to camp out. Needless to say, we got hit with some pieces of debris.
All in all, it was a solid day of drifting, but if you missed it, we’ve got the photos you’ve been waiting for. Also, in case you’re curious about the rest of the points standings, we’ve got the top 10 listed below. Enjoy!
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship 2010 Point Standings
1. Gittin, Vaughn Monster Energy / Falken Tire Ford Mustang 291 Points
2. Yoshihara, Daijiro Discount Tire / Falken Tire Nissan S13 270 Points
3. Foust, Tanner Rockstar Energy Scion TC 228 Points
4. Tuerck, Ryan Mobil 1 / Maxxis Tire / Gardella Racing Pontiac Solstice 209 Points
5. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Saturn Sky 202 Points
6. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / CFR Nissan 350Z 201 Points
7. Millen, Rhys RMR / Red Bull Hyundai Genesis Coupe 182.5 Points
8. Hubinette, Samuel SHR-Dodge / BF Goodrich Dodge Challenger 175 Points
9. Pawlak, Justin Ford Racing / Falken Tire Ford Mustang 147.50 Points
10. Gushi, Ken Scion Racing / RS*R Scion TC 141.50 Points
10. Takatori, Michihiro BF Goodrich / Exedy Nissan S13 141.50
(Photography: Andrew Link)